In Australia there is no rating system for essential oils. The TGA do not have any requirement, as they do not regulate cosmetic labeling. All oils in the world however, fall into one of 4 categories.
Grade A, Grade B, Grade C and Grade D
- Grade A is therapeutic, made from organically grown plants and distilled at low temperatures.
- Grade B oils are food grade but may contain synthetics, pesticides, fertilizers, chemical extenders or carrier oils.
- Grade C are perfume oils that often contain adulterated chemicals. They usually use solvents to gain a higher yield per harvest and may be diluted by 80-95 percent with alcohol.
- Grade D is called floral water, which is aromatic only and usually a by-product of Grade A distillation. It can often be labeled pure, even though it is just the “trash” water.
Grade A is the only true pure oil.
Before you purchase essential oils, check to see that the company grows their own plants, owns their own fields and controls the whole process from seed to seal. Seed to Seal means that every plant is hand-weeded, there are no pesticides used, no chemicals and no week-killers. The plants are harvested at their peek, and then they are put through rigorous testing processes. Pesticides, pollution, and previously farmed land – all of it can affect an essential oil.
- You can read more about the Seed to Seal Process here https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/discover/seed-to-seal
- Are Young Living Essential Oils Organic – https://www.theessentialfamily.com/are-young-livings-essential-oils-organic/
How can other oil companies sell their oils more cheaply?
If you spray your crop with pesticides, you have more crop to distill. If you use a chemical solvent to extract the oil, you pull more out. If you dilute with a cheap carrier oil, or synthetic alternative, you stretch out the oil. Most essential oils are sold more cheaply because companies cut corners.
Gary Young has said that he never makes oil for a profit; he makes it for a purpose. Seed to Seal is not a slogan, it’s a promise.
How Are Oils Made?
It takes a great deal of work to produce a tiny amount of essential oil!
- 60 thousand rose blossoms provide only 1 ounce of rose oil.
- Lavender is abundant – 220 pounds will proved 7 pounds of oi.l
- Jasmine flowers must be picked by hand before the sun becomes hot on the very first day that they open, making it one of the most expensive oils in the world!
- A sandalwood tree must be 15 – 30 years old before it can be cut down for distillation.
A 5ml bottle contains about 90 drops and a 15ml bottle around 250 drops. Each application is only 1-3 drops, so a little goes a long way! Know your oils so the you an use them to best effect.
Join us here! Shekinah’s Essential Oil Team…
Please Note: You can join our YL team by yourself, or have a joint account with a friend or family member. We have a strong tribe of women working towards bringing more health and well-being into everyone’s lives with these products. If you would like to start a business and make money, while connecting and building community that resonates with your values and beliefs, than give me a call. We would love to welcome you into our team!